Friday, 28 August 2015
Sunday, 9 August 2015
Tuesday, 3 March 2015
Monday, 23 February 2015
Sunday, 22 February 2015
"Mary Rose" BobbinsSo yesterday afternoon and this afternoon I did some turning.
Yesterday I split out a couple of blanks which I turned today. I had intended to finish them in one go, but after feeling the moisture they contained (I was sprayed with warm wet shavings!) I decided that Windsor chair makers might be onto something and have left them to dry after turning the basic shape.
It's possible that they may crack or warp, but the relatively small size of the pieces should reduce the chance of that.
Tuesday, 17 February 2015
BobbinsTurning Bobbins in the style of those found on the Mary Rose
|The Bobbins and related artifacts.|
Having recently acquired a lathe I decided that I would like to make a series of small objects, mostly because I get immense enjoyment from wood, but also with an eye to sell some if they are up to scratch.
The collection of thread Bobbins from the Mary rose are ideal subjects for this, being relatively small and quite simple.
Four bobbins: Material Length (mm) Diameter (mm)
Ash 128 28
Willow 115 25 (stem) 40 (Collar)
Alder 37 12 (this is an incomplete fragment)
Scots pine 95 17 This one is the conical one in the picture.
Measurements taken from
They have three collars, one at either end, plus one in the center, allowing for two colours or type of thread to be shown/ stored.
In addition the core has been hollowed and stoppered creating a space to store needles. at least one of the bobbins was still stoppered and contained needles.
My first attempt
|More care is needed in drilling the needle compartment|
Overall I'm quite happy with this Bobbin as a quick experiment.
|The hole made by drilling at an angle rather than vertically.|